Do you want to be a teacher or an administrator in an elementary or pre-school learning environment? Or perhaps an early childhood education curriculum developer, or education program director? If so, you probably need to get an early childhood education masters.
Early childhood degrees prepare you for jobs in education and administration related to children from birth to age eight. To do this, the early childhood education curriculum track includes courses in child psychology, parenting, and early childhood instruction and learning strategies.
This page is for those wanting to know more about early childhood education degrees at masters level. It provides information on what is studied, where you can study these programs, the career prospects, and more. You may also wish to explore the elementary education programs.
What does the masters cover?
An early childhood education masters degree typically includes: child growth and development, child psychology, instructional and teaching methods for young children, elementary instruction methods, the design of primary-school curricula, classroom management, family engagement, language acquisition, and literacy education. But the actual curriculum will vary from institution to institution. For example, some might include the delivery of differentiated instruction, collaboration with parents and communities, how diversity affects development and learning in early childhood, the impact of living in poverty and the effects of stress, violence, and trauma. Some Masters programs require you to hold a teaching certificate.
What are the career prospects with an early childhood education masters?
Education is one of the largest industries and online early childhood degrees offer plenty of career options. Most US States now require lead teachers in state-funded pre-kindergarten programs to have early childhood training. Typically, the early childhood education online courses prepare you for work with preschool through fifth grade (K-5).
A Master of Education (MEd) in Early Childhood Education is often necessary for a position as an early childhood education administrator, curriculum developer, or education program director. For teaching childhood education in a college or university, an early childhood education masters or PhD is required.
The United States Department of Labor reports an approximate annual income of about $50,000 for early childhood and elementary education teachers. Prospects are good in the sector as the government has placed an emphasis on it.
List of schools and programs
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M.Ed. - Program Specialist in Early Childhood Specialist
- M.Ed. Teaching and Learning - Elementary Education
- MA in Teaching - Elementary Education
- And more...
Get in, get out, get ahead with Southern Technical College!
At Southern Technical College, our career training programs are designed to help you reach your career goals ? whatever they may be! Southern Technical College is the right place for students who want quality career training in the growing fields of Allied Health, Business, Design, Education, Information Technology, Legal Studies, Nursing and Technical Trades.
- A.S. - Early Childhood Education
At Post University, we believe you shouldn’t have to put your life on hold to further your education. That’s why we offer a wide range of quality Certificate, Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in a highly interactive online format that emphasizes flexibility, convenience, and support. Whichever program you choose, you can take classes in 8-week modules, six times a year from faculty members with advanced degrees and extensive real-world experience. You’ll also enjoy access to a full array of academic support services, including advising, tutoring, writing center assistance, and our virtual library at no additional charge.
- B.S. in Child Studies
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Undergrad in Early Childhood Development
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology : Child Development
- Master of Science: Education
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Early Childhood Education - Master of Education
- Early Childhood Education - EdS
- Early Childhood Education - PhD in Education
- And more...
Berks Technical Institute (BTI) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Early Childhood Education - Associate in Specialized Business
Discover the power of ONE COURSE A MONTH® to fit education into your busy life. Brown Mackie College’s ONE COURSE A MONTH® schedule lets you focus on your course work one subject at a time.
- Associate of Applied Science in Early Childhood Education
- Founded over 60 years ago on the principles of inclusion and social justice.
- Offers credit for previous life and work experience.
- Has 3 semesters and 6 start dates a year.
- Located in Pasadena, CA, with instructional sites in Sacramento, Salinas, Santa Cruz, and Visalia as well as online options.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- B.A. Early Childhood Education with Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- B.A. Early Childhood Education with Dual Credential
- B.A. Early Childhood Education
- And more...
- Early Childhood Education