Do you want to be a teacher or an administrator in an elementary or pre-school learning environment? Or perhaps an early childhood education curriculum developer, or education program director? If so, you probably need to get an early childhood education masters.
Early childhood degrees prepare you for jobs in education and administration related to children from birth to age eight. To do this, the early childhood education curriculum track includes courses in child psychology, parenting, and early childhood instruction and learning strategies.
This page is for those wanting to know more about early childhood education degrees at masters level. It provides information on what is studied, where you can study these programs, the career prospects, and more. You may also wish to explore the elementary education programs.
What does the masters cover?
An early childhood education masters degree typically includes: child growth and development, child psychology, instructional and teaching methods for young children, elementary instruction methods, the design of primary-school curricula, classroom management, family engagement, language acquisition, and literacy education. But the actual curriculum will vary from institution to institution. For example, some might include the delivery of differentiated instruction, collaboration with parents and communities, how diversity affects development and learning in early childhood, the impact of living in poverty and the effects of stress, violence, and trauma. Some Masters programs require you to hold a teaching certificate.
What are the career prospects with an early childhood education masters?
Education is one of the largest industries and online early childhood degrees offer plenty of career options. Most US States now require lead teachers in state-funded pre-kindergarten programs to have early childhood training. Typically, the early childhood education online courses prepare you for work with preschool through fifth grade (K-5).
A Master of Education (MEd) in Early Childhood Education is often necessary for a position as an early childhood education administrator, curriculum developer, or education program director. For teaching childhood education in a college or university, an early childhood education masters or PhD is required.
The United States Department of Labor reports an approximate annual income of about $50,000 for early childhood and elementary education teachers. Prospects are good in the sector as the government has placed an emphasis on it.
List of schools and programs
At Post University, we believe you shouldn’t have to put your life on hold to further your education. That’s why we offer a wide range of quality Certificate, Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in a highly interactive online format that emphasizes flexibility, convenience, and support. Whichever program you choose, you can take classes in 8-week modules, six times a year from faculty members with advanced degrees and extensive real-world experience. You’ll also enjoy access to a full array of academic support services, including advising, tutoring, writing center assistance, and our virtual library at no additional charge.
- B.S. in Child Studies
- B.S. in Instructional Design and Technology
- Early Childhood Education
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- MS - Early Childhood Education
- PhD - Instructional Design for Online Learning
- MS - Instructional Design for Online Learning
- And more...
- Early Childcare Education
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form on the right to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Teaching and Diversity in Early Childhood Education
- Ed.S. in Early Childhood - General Program
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Teaching Adults in the Early Childhood Field
- And more...
- Early Childhood Education - JEE.13
- B.A. Early Childhood Education with Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- B.A. Early Childhood Education with Dual Credential
- B.A. Early Childhood Education
- And more...
- A.S. - Early Childhood Education
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- BS in Early Childhood Development
- Undergrad in Early Childhood Development
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology : Child Development
- And more...