Do you want to be a lead teacher, principal, assistant principal or a senior administrator in an elementary or pre-school learning environment? Or perhaps an early childhood education curriculum developer, or education program director? An early childhood education PhD program prepares you for jobs in education and administration related to children from birth to age 8. To do this, the program includes courses in child psychology, parenting, and early childhood instruction and learning strategies.
Early childhood educationPhD programs can prepare you for leadership positions in preschool through fifth grade (K-5) settings. This page provides information on what is studied and where you can study these programs. You may also wish to explore the elementary education programs. Note that in order to undertake a PhD, you will need to possess a relevant masters degree.
What do the degrees cover?
An early childhood education doctoral program will usually include some of the courses taught in the relevant masters program, such as: instructional strategies, teaching methodologies, assessment techniques, theories of early childhood development. It will enable you to explore a broad spectrum of topics, such as growth and development, childhood literature, program administration, curriculum and assessment, and stakeholder partnerships. Most doctoral programs also help you develop your skills in educational leadership.
In your thesis, the program will allow you to specialize in a topic of your choice, such as: curriculum development, pedagogy and classroom methodology, administrative techniques, and child psychology.
What are the career prospects with an early childhood education PhD?
Education is one of the largest industries and early childhood graduate programs offer plenty of career options. Most US States now require lead teachers in state-funded pre-kindergarten programs to have early childhood training.
Typically, early childhood education PhD programs prepare you for teaching, management and leadership positions in preschool through fifth grade (K-5) settings. Graduates find careers as lead teachers, administrators or program directors in elementary and pre-school learning environments. It is also possible to teach childhood education in a college or university, but competition is high.
The United States Department of Labor reports an approximate annual income of about $50,000 for early childhood and elementary teachers. Prospects are good in the sector as the government has placed an emphasis on it.
List of schools and programs
- Earn your Master's or Doctorate degree online
- Choose from degrees within the schools of Psychology, Organizational Leadership or Social, Human and Educational Development
- Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association
- All faculty hold doctorate degrees and bring real world experience to the classroom
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Distance Learning
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Curriculum & Instruction (EdD) (Online)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Early Childhood Education - PhD in Education
- Early Childhood Education - EdS
- Early Childhood Education - Doctor of Education
- And more...