An education management PhD is designed for teachers or school administrators who are interested in a career as a principal or other senior manager in a school, school district or college.
Education management is concerned with allocating human, physical, financial and other resources in a school or college. Management is sometimes confused with leadership – but they are different. However, management is closely linked to leadership, which is about persuading people and allocating resources to achieve strategic results.
This page provides information on what is studied in these doctoral programs, where you can study them on campus or by online and distance learning, what the career prospects are, and more. Before taking a PhD you will need to have completed a relevant education masters.
What do the programs cover?
Education management doctorates (and variants such as a PhD in community college leadership) provide the expertise needed and enhance your career potential in school and college management. They are designed for teachers who are interested in a career as a principal or other senior manager in a school, school district or college. Such degrees prepare you for leadership and a wide variety of management tasks, including: overseeing budgets, monitoring progress of student and programs, working with the community, advocating for the school or college and dealing with legal issues. Programs will probably include some taught courses from a relevant masters programs to cover these topics.
Education management doctorates will also include a thesis in which you can choose a theme or topic that suits your career or interests. Programs might also include an internship experience in school administration at the principal level and an action research project.
What are the career prospects with an education management PhD?
In the United States, educational manager can work in various instructional settings. Graduates with a PhD in education management are equipped to pursue a career as a principal of a elementary, middle, or secondary school; academic dean; department chair; or other administrative and leadership position.
List of schools and programs
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form on the right to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- Ph.D. in Education - Course-based - Assessment Evaluation and Accountability
- Ed.S. in Administrator Leadership for Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Education - Administrator Leadership for Teaching & Learning
- And more...
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- EdD - Educational Leadership and Management
- EdS - Leadership in Educational Administration
- PhD - Leadership for Higher Education
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Organizational Leadership (EdD) (Online)
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership
- Educational Specialist in Leadership in Mathematics Education
Founded in 1959, California Lutheran University's dedicated, accomplished faculty works with small classes of students who are open-minded—and are seeking to grow as individuals. Everyone at Cal Lutheran is committed to helping each student pursue their passions to discover their purpose, and follow that purpose to transform their community—and the world.
- Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) in Higher Education Leadership
- Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) in Educational Leadership (including K-12 specialization)