An education management PhD is designed for teachers or school administrators who are interested in a career as a principal or other senior manager in a school, school district or college.
Education management is concerned with allocating human, physical, financial and other resources in a school or college. Management is sometimes confused with leadership – but they are different. However, management is closely linked to leadership, which is about persuading people and allocating resources to achieve strategic results.
This page provides information on what is studied in these doctoral programs, where you can study them on campus or by online and distance learning, what the career prospects are, and more. Before taking a PhD you will need to have completed a relevant education masters.
What do the programs cover?
Education management doctorates (and variants such as a PhD in community college leadership) provide the expertise needed and enhance your career potential in school and college management. They are designed for teachers who are interested in a career as a principal or other senior manager in a school, school district or college. Such degrees prepare you for leadership and a wide variety of management tasks, including: overseeing budgets, monitoring progress of student and programs, working with the community, advocating for the school or college and dealing with legal issues. Programs will probably include some taught courses from a relevant masters programs to cover these topics.
Education management doctorates will also include a thesis in which you can choose a theme or topic that suits your career or interests. Programs might also include an internship experience in school administration at the principal level and an action research project.
What are the career prospects with an education management PhD?
In the United States, educational manager can work in various instructional settings. Graduates with a PhD in education management are equipped to pursue a career as a principal of a elementary, middle, or secondary school; academic dean; department chair; or other administrative and leadership position.
List of schools and programs
- Concordia University - Portland online programs can help you:
- Get your master’s degree in just 14 months!
- Earn your Ed.D. fully online in less than four years
- Potentially earn a salary increase
- Achieve an advanced degree on your schedule, from the comfort of your home
- Use research-based best practices to have a more powerful impact on education
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- Ed.D. - Professional Leadership, Inquiry, and Transformation
- And more...
- Education Master's Degrees for New & Experienced Teachers!
- Emphases include Educational Leadership, Elementary Education, Secondary Education, Special Education, TESOL & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses 100% online or in our evening campus cohorts.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request transcripts, evaluate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- 60 of our College of Education graduates have gone on to become Teachers of the Year, will you be next?
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
- Our supportive instructors, rigorous curriculum, and experience-based approach give you the knowledge and skills to make a difference in your profession
- Our degree programs are designed specifically for working adults — put your coursework to work in your current job AND use it to reach the next level in your career
- Finish assignments and complete your degree on a schedule that works for you
- Keep your current job as you earn your graduate degree
- Scholarships may be available
- Ed.D. in Leadership and Management
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Conflict Resolution Track
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Educational Specialist - Educational Leadership