In order to teach in public schools in the US, you need to have passed a suitable program of study and obtained teacher certification (licensure). There are various specifically designed masters programs to help you, such as those on this page. If you already have a bachelor’s degree in another field, you can take one of the masters teaching programs that satisfy licensing requirements. In this way you obtain your teaching license and also enhance your career prospects by having the higher degree. If you want to move into administration, you might also want to look at the Administration and Leadership page for details of suitable masters programs.
Masters teaching programs are an excellent way to qualify for a teaching career, obtain the best jobs and get promotion. This page gives details of the programs and where they can be found.
What is studied in teaching programs at masters level?
A masters in teaching program might include topics such as educational psychology, reading strategies, teaching methods, curriculum design and development. Program titles to look for include: MA in Education/Teacher Education for Elementary Licensure, M.Ed. in Elementary Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment: Teacher Licensure, and MS in Special Education Teaching.
Those masters with an emphasis on administration and leadership, such as an M.Ed. Education Admin, might include topics such as curriculum development, school administration, organizational theory, legal issues, school finance, and leadership. Check the Administration and Leadership page for more details of these programs.
The masters programs very often include assignments using observational and practice-based experiences, for which you need access to a suitable school. You will also need to have supervised practice in a classroom or an internship. All this ensures that education is the appropriate career for you. A masters degree may also include a research project.
How do you obtain teacher certification?
State teacher certification requirements are often slightly different in each state in the US, so you should check the specific requirements where you want to teach. However, in general terms, most states require the following to gain certification:
- Completion of a teacher training program which includes supervised practice teaching;
- A degree:
- To teach at an elementary school level, an undergraduate major or minor in education or a Masters degree in education;
- To teach secondary subjects, an undergraduate degree in the desired subjects, as well as the completion of an educational program which usually includes a student teaching and/or practicum component;
- The passing of a state-administered exam.
Some states require a Master’s degree, although it is sometimes acceptable to be close to finishing one.
Even if you are not actually teaching, but are working in an educational setting, it is useful to have teacher licensure.
What are the career prospects for teachers
Career prospects for graduates with an online masters in teaching are good – according to the United States Department of Labor the job growth for teachers is expected to be around 12% over the next several years. Salaries vary according to state, qualifications and experience. Teachers in K-12 education earn an average income of $43,000 a year, but the figure is higher in some states and lower in others. See the table in the right hand column for recent salary details.
List of schools and programs
- Offers fully online master’s and doctoral programs in Education.
- Education Specialist (EdS) program offers several specializations, including Early Childhood Education, Educational Leadership, English as a Second Language, Special Education, and more.
- Master’s students can choose an accelerated track MEd program to complete their degree faster.
- All master’s and doctoral Education programs have no GRE or GMAT exam requirements.
- 100% of faculty possesses a doctoral degree in their field.
- MEd - Reading Education
- Special Education - Master of Education
- Instructional Leadership - Master of Education
- And more...
- Founded over 60 years ago on the principles of inclusion and social justice.
- Offers credit for previous life and work experience.
- Has 3 semesters and 6 start dates a year.
- Located in Pasadena, CA, with instructional sites in Sacramento, Salinas, Santa Cruz, and Visalia as well as online options.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Preliminary Education Specialist Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Education Specialist Instruction Credential
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
As a recognized leader in higher education since 1920, IWU empowers busy adults to reach their educational goals, advance in their careers, and find their true calling in life, all within a supportive, faith-based environment.
- Master of Education - Curriculum & Instruction & Track Online
- Master of Education - Post Masters Teachers Leadership Licensure Online
- Master of Education - Intervention Specialist Mild/Moderate Special Ed Licensure Online
- And more...
NU has been educating leaders since 1934 at our campus near Seattle. Over the years, we've seen the improbable made possible. If you have a dream, we can help make it possible.
- Master's in Education
- Master in Ministry
- Master of Arts in TESOL
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M.Ed. Teaching & Learning: History
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- And more...
Concordia University, Nebraska offers accredited Master of Education and Master of Science degree programs online to help advance your career and become a transformative leader. Our M.Ed. and M.S. programs offer the knowledge and skills required in today’s competitive marketplace. These graduate degree programs are also practitioner-based: study real world solutions in class you can also apply to your current job. A reliable online learning system allows you to learn with other adult students, around your own schedule, and wherever you connect online.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction with Instructional Technology Leadership Emphasis
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction with Curriculum Supervisor Certification
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Leadership Coaching and Mentoring
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Coaching and Mentoring
At AC we want to create an environment for excellence in learning. Our highly qualified and experienced faculty provides quality teaching that consistently achieves excellent feedback from students. They combine specialist knowledge with practical insight and open conversation. This produces an inspiring and innovative classroom experience with solid content.
- Master of Leadership
- Master of Teaching (Primary)
- Master of Teaching (Secondary)
- And more...