In order to teach in public schools in the US, you need to have passed a suitable program of study and obtained teacher certification (licensure). There are various specifically designed masters programs to help you, such as those on this page. If you already have a bachelor’s degree in another field, you can take one of the masters teaching programs that satisfy licensing requirements. In this way you obtain your teaching license and also enhance your career prospects by having the higher degree. If you want to move into administration, you might also want to look at the Administration and Leadership page for details of suitable masters programs.
Masters teaching programs are an excellent way to qualify for a teaching career, obtain the best jobs and get promotion. This page gives details of the programs and where they can be found.
What is studied in teaching programs at masters level?
A masters in teaching program might include topics such as educational psychology, reading strategies, teaching methods, curriculum design and development. Program titles to look for include: MA in Education/Teacher Education for Elementary Licensure, M.Ed. in Elementary Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment: Teacher Licensure, and MS in Special Education Teaching.
Those masters with an emphasis on administration and leadership, such as an M.Ed. Education Admin, might include topics such as curriculum development, school administration, organizational theory, legal issues, school finance, and leadership. Check the Administration and Leadership page for more details of these programs.
The masters programs very often include assignments using observational and practice-based experiences, for which you need access to a suitable school. You will also need to have supervised practice in a classroom or an internship. All this ensures that education is the appropriate career for you. A masters degree may also include a research project.
How do you obtain teacher certification?
State teacher certification requirements are often slightly different in each state in the US, so you should check the specific requirements where you want to teach. However, in general terms, most states require the following to gain certification:
- Completion of a teacher training program which includes supervised practice teaching;
- A degree:
- To teach at an elementary school level, an undergraduate major or minor in education or a Masters degree in education;
- To teach secondary subjects, an undergraduate degree in the desired subjects, as well as the completion of an educational program which usually includes a student teaching and/or practicum component;
- The passing of a state-administered exam.
Some states require a Master’s degree, although it is sometimes acceptable to be close to finishing one.
Even if you are not actually teaching, but are working in an educational setting, it is useful to have teacher licensure.
What are the career prospects for teachers
Career prospects for graduates with an online masters in teaching are good – according to the United States Department of Labor the job growth for teachers is expected to be around 12% over the next several years. Salaries vary according to state, qualifications and experience. Teachers in K-12 education earn an average income of $43,000 a year, but the figure is higher in some states and lower in others. See the table in the right hand column for recent salary details.
List of schools and programs
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M.Ed. Teaching & Learning: History
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- International Education - Master of Education
- Early Childhood Education - Master of Education
- Special Education - Master of Education
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
- Founded over 60 years ago on the principles of inclusion and social justice.
- Offers credit for previous life and work experience.
- Has 3 semesters and 6 start dates a year.
- Located in Pasadena, CA, with instructional sites in Sacramento, Salinas, Santa Cruz, and Visalia as well as online options.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Preliminary Education Specialist Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Education Specialist Instruction Credential
- And more...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- MS - Integrative Studies
- MS - K-12 Studies in Education
- MS - Early Childhood Education
- And more...
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form on the right to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- M.S.Ed - Professional Development (Grades PreK-12)
- M.S. in Education
- M.S. in Education - Mathematics and Science (Grades K-8)
- And more...
Founded in 1925, the University of Miami is consistently and consecutively ranked as a top 50 national university and the number one private university in Florida. With more than 15,000 students from around the world, the University of Miami is a vibrant and diverse academic community situated on several campuses located in and around the city of Miami.
- Master's in Sport Administration
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
We’ve kept tuition and class size low while growing our commitments to diversity and community – it’s all part of our student-centered education.
Whether you’re starting or continuing your college education, you need the support of your family, friends, employers, and – most importantly – your university. At USU, we pride ourselves on the principles of a student-centered education – an education in which the entire university community is dedicated to the success of each and every student.
- Master of Arts in Education
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania. We offer certificate and bachelor's and master's degree programs in a wide variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- Early Childhood Education (Master of Education) - Online
- Administrative Program for Principals (Master of Education) - Online
- Advanced Studies in Secondary Education & Teacher Leadership (Master of Education) - Online
- And more...