In order to teach in public schools in the US, you need to have passed a suitable program of study and obtained teacher certification (licensure). There are various specifically designed masters programs to help you, such as those on this page. If you already have a bachelor’s degree in another field, you can take one of the masters teaching programs that satisfy licensing requirements. In this way you obtain your teaching license and also enhance your career prospects by having the higher degree. If you want to move into administration, you might also want to look at the Administration and Leadership page for details of suitable masters programs.
Masters teaching programs are an excellent way to qualify for a teaching career, obtain the best jobs and get promotion. This page gives details of the programs and where they can be found.
What is studied in teaching programs at masters level?
A masters in teaching program might include topics such as educational psychology, reading strategies, teaching methods, curriculum design and development. Program titles to look for include: MA in Education/Teacher Education for Elementary Licensure, M.Ed. in Elementary Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment: Teacher Licensure, and MS in Special Education Teaching.
Those masters with an emphasis on administration and leadership, such as an M.Ed. Education Admin, might include topics such as curriculum development, school administration, organizational theory, legal issues, school finance, and leadership. Check the Administration and Leadership page for more details of these programs.
The masters programs very often include assignments using observational and practice-based experiences, for which you need access to a suitable school. You will also need to have supervised practice in a classroom or an internship. All this ensures that education is the appropriate career for you. A masters degree may also include a research project.
How do you obtain teacher certification?
State teacher certification requirements are often slightly different in each state in the US, so you should check the specific requirements where you want to teach. However, in general terms, most states require the following to gain certification:
- Completion of a teacher training program which includes supervised practice teaching;
- A degree:
- To teach at an elementary school level, an undergraduate major or minor in education or a Masters degree in education;
- To teach secondary subjects, an undergraduate degree in the desired subjects, as well as the completion of an educational program which usually includes a student teaching and/or practicum component;
- The passing of a state-administered exam.
Some states require a Master’s degree, although it is sometimes acceptable to be close to finishing one.
Even if you are not actually teaching, but are working in an educational setting, it is useful to have teacher licensure.
What are the career prospects for teachers
Career prospects for graduates with an online masters in teaching are good – according to the United States Department of Labor the job growth for teachers is expected to be around 12% over the next several years. Salaries vary according to state, qualifications and experience. Teachers in K-12 education earn an average income of $43,000 a year, but the figure is higher in some states and lower in others. See the table in the right hand column for recent salary details.
List of schools and programs
- Grand Canyon University - Where a Quality Education and Faith Coexist
- Recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- We support students through their academic and spiritual journey.
- GCU offers the convenience of online, on-campus, or evening programs.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- M.A. in Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Concordia University - Portland online programs can help you:
- Get your master’s degree in just 14 months!
- Earn your Ed.D. fully online in less than four years
- Potentially earn a salary increase
- Achieve an advanced degree on your schedule, from the comfort of your home
- Use research-based best practices to have a more powerful impact on education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed: Special Education (Non-Endorsement)
- And more...
- Study around your schedule, when and where you want
- Become a true transformative leader as you promote social responsibility and management best practices
- Apply the skills and knowledge you learn in class to your current job
- Scholarships, grants and other forms of financial aid may also be available to help students with their tuition.
- M.S. in Education in Childhood Special Education
- Our supportive instructors, rigorous curriculum, and experience-based approach give you the knowledge and skills to make a difference in your profession
- Our degree programs are designed specifically for working adults — put your coursework to work in your current job AND use it to reach the next level in your career
- Finish assignments and complete your degree on a schedule that works for you
- Keep your current job as you earn your graduate degree
- Scholarships may be available
- M.S. in TESOL
- M.S. in Elementary Education
- M.S. in Special Education: Autism Spectrum Disorders
- And more...
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Education in Instructional Leadership - Conflict Resolution Track
- Master of Education in Instructional Leadership
- Master of Education in Instructional Leadership - Learning with Emerging Technologies
- MA English and Creative Writing - Poetry
- MA English and Creative Writing - Screenwriting
- MA English
- And more...
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania. We offer certificate and bachelor's and master's degree programs in a wide variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- Early Childhood Education (Master of Education) - Online
- Administrative Program for Principals (Master of Education) - Online
- Advanced Studies in Secondary Education & Teacher Leadership (Master of Education) - Online
- And more...