In order to teach in public schools in the US, you need to have passed a suitable program of study and obtained teacher certification (licensure). There are various specifically designed masters programs to help you, such as those on this page. If you already have a bachelor’s degree in another field, you can take one of the masters teaching programs that satisfy licensing requirements. In this way you obtain your teaching license and also enhance your career prospects by having the higher degree. If you want to move into administration, you might also want to look at the Administration and Leadership page for details of suitable masters programs.
Masters teaching programs are an excellent way to qualify for a teaching career, obtain the best jobs and get promotion. This page gives details of the programs and where they can be found.
What is studied in teaching programs at masters level?
A masters in teaching program might include topics such as educational psychology, reading strategies, teaching methods, curriculum design and development. Program titles to look for include: MA in Education/Teacher Education for Elementary Licensure, M.Ed. in Elementary Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment: Teacher Licensure, and MS in Special Education Teaching.
Those masters with an emphasis on administration and leadership, such as an M.Ed. Education Admin, might include topics such as curriculum development, school administration, organizational theory, legal issues, school finance, and leadership. Check the Administration and Leadership page for more details of these programs.
The masters programs very often include assignments using observational and practice-based experiences, for which you need access to a suitable school. You will also need to have supervised practice in a classroom or an internship. All this ensures that education is the appropriate career for you. A masters degree may also include a research project.
How do you obtain teacher certification?
State teacher certification requirements are often slightly different in each state in the US, so you should check the specific requirements where you want to teach. However, in general terms, most states require the following to gain certification:
- Completion of a teacher training program which includes supervised practice teaching;
- A degree:
- To teach at an elementary school level, an undergraduate major or minor in education or a Masters degree in education;
- To teach secondary subjects, an undergraduate degree in the desired subjects, as well as the completion of an educational program which usually includes a student teaching and/or practicum component;
- The passing of a state-administered exam.
Some states require a Master’s degree, although it is sometimes acceptable to be close to finishing one.
Even if you are not actually teaching, but are working in an educational setting, it is useful to have teacher licensure.
What are the career prospects for teachers
Career prospects for graduates with an online masters in teaching are good – according to the United States Department of Labor the job growth for teachers is expected to be around 12% over the next several years. Salaries vary according to state, qualifications and experience. Teachers in K-12 education earn an average income of $43,000 a year, but the figure is higher in some states and lower in others. See the table in the right hand column for recent salary details.
List of schools and programs
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed: Special Education (Non-Endorsement)
- And more...
- Preliminary Education Specialist Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Education Specialist Instruction Credential
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Education in Christian School Administration
- Master of Education in K-12 Special Education - Licensure
- Master of Education Individualized Major - Mental Retardation
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania. We offer certificate and bachelor's and master's degree programs in a wide variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- MA in Teaching: Advanced Studies in Secondary Education- National Board Preparation
- Master of Education in Early Childhood Education
- Master of Education in School Administration- Administrative Program for Principals
- And more...
Belhaven University, founded in 1883, is a comprehensive Christian liberal arts university. At the university’s main campus in Jackson, Miss., students from around the world converge to study in various programs all taught from a Christian perspective. Belhaven University is located in a historic, beautiful residential setting in the heart of capital city of Jackson, and is a place where top-rated faculty and a nurturing environment converge to bring you to your best.
- Master of Education - National Board Emphasis
- Master of Education - Teacher as Leader/Elementary or Secondary
- Master of Education in Reading Literacy
Founded in 1959, California Lutheran University's dedicated, accomplished faculty works with small classes of students who are open-minded—and are seeking to grow as individuals. Everyone at Cal Lutheran is committed to helping each student pursue their passions to discover their purpose, and follow that purpose to transform their community—and the world.
- Master?s of Education (M.Ed.) in Teacher Leadership
- Master?s (M.A.) of Educational Leadership
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education