If you have obtained a bachelors degree and passed the required examinations to begin teaching, you may be beginning to explore options for expanding your teaching opportunities and earning a greater income. Getting a secondary education masters degree can open doors that lead to more challenging educational or administrative positions in the subject area for which you are most passionate.
If your goal is to enter the administrative side of education, a secondary education graduate program that focuses on supervisory and administrative tasks in a school will be more beneficial and it will be to your advantage to pursue this specialization in your program. On the other hand, if you want to teach in secondary schools, then you will need to pursue a teaching specialization in your masters program. It is important to have a clear idea of your ultimate goals and objectives for your career before you commit to a program so that you will be able to take advantage of the opportunities offered upon completion. These programs are readily available online so they are accessible without leaving employment. This page provides more detail about the programs and where you can take them.
What do the programs involve?
Requirements For Program Participation:
The requirements to participate in a masters program in teaching are normally more structured than for other degree programs. This is primarily due to the fact that a teacher will usually have a single subject credential when they begin teaching and will normally be inclined to move towards a masters in this subject area. With their masters completed, secondary education teachers are able to teach grades 7 through 12 or qualify for supervisory or administrative positions in education.
It is important to note that these programs are designed with two prongs. One for teachers who want to teach in secondary schools and the other for teachers that want to enter the administrative side of education. Depending on what your ultimate goals are for your career, you will want to discuss how to achieve your objectives with an individual who is knowledgeable about the best route to take to reach your ultimate goal most effectively.
What To Expect From The Program:
The Masters programs are much more intense than the overview or basic courses taken in a bachelors. These programs include critical discussions on readings and applied classroom learning practicum. The program covers classroom management skills and includes extensive reading material. The history and theory of curriculum in K-12 is covered so that you have a complete grasp of learning concepts and teaching modalities for your specialty.
Completing The Program:
After completing the 4-year bachelors program, this program will take an additional 1-2 years. In most cases, individuals getting their degree are working as full-time teachers and take longer to complete the program so that they can accommodate their work schedule. Most of these programs are flexible and take into account the fact that the students participating are working teachers.
The length of time for completion may also vary, depending on the subject area that you have chosen. The program you select will require a lot of field work and analytic study will often require more of an investment of time than one that will be completed through traditional methods of campus study.
What are the prospects with a secondary education masters?
The pay scale for completion of a program will vary based on several factors. Some subject areas are in extreme demand and the pay will be in excess of $100,000 per year. However, in most cases, an individual who completes a program can expect to make a minimum of $40,000 to $63,000 per year. This amount will vary on the location that you are going to teach and the type of school district your choose to work in.
List of schools and programs
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- And more...
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania. We offer certificate and bachelor's and master's degree programs in a wide variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- MA in Teaching: Advanced Studies in Secondary Education- National Board Preparation
- Master of Education: Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Education
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- Master of Science: Education
- And more...
- Founded over 60 years ago on the principles of inclusion and social justice.
- Offers credit for previous life and work experience.
- Has 3 semesters and 6 start dates a year.
- Located in Pasadena, CA, with instructional sites in Sacramento, Salinas, Santa Cruz, and Visalia as well as online options.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Preliminary Education Specialist Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Education Specialist Instruction Credential
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction - Christian School
- Master of Education in Leadership in Mathematics Education
- Master of Education in Career Switcher w/Licensure
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
Belhaven University, founded in 1883, is a comprehensive Christian liberal arts university. At the university’s main campus in Jackson, Miss., students from around the world converge to study in various programs all taught from a Christian perspective. Belhaven University is located in a historic, beautiful residential setting in the heart of capital city of Jackson, and is a place where top-rated faculty and a nurturing environment converge to bring you to your best.
- Master of Education - National Board Emphasis
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators