If you have obtained a bachelors degree and passed the required examinations to begin teaching, you may be beginning to explore options for expanding your teaching opportunities and earning a greater income. Getting a secondary education masters degree can open doors that lead to more challenging educational or administrative positions in the subject area for which you are most passionate.
If your goal is to enter the administrative side of education, a secondary education graduate program that focuses on supervisory and administrative tasks in a school will be more beneficial and it will be to your advantage to pursue this specialization in your program. On the other hand, if you want to teach in secondary schools, then you will need to pursue a teaching specialization in your masters program. It is important to have a clear idea of your ultimate goals and objectives for your career before you commit to a program so that you will be able to take advantage of the opportunities offered upon completion. These programs are readily available online so they are accessible without leaving employment. This page provides more detail about the programs and where you can take them.
What do the programs involve?
Requirements For Program Participation:
The requirements to participate in a masters program in teaching are normally more structured than for other degree programs. This is primarily due to the fact that a teacher will usually have a single subject credential when they begin teaching and will normally be inclined to move towards a masters in this subject area. With their masters completed, secondary education teachers are able to teach grades 7 through 12 or qualify for supervisory or administrative positions in education.
It is important to note that these programs are designed with two prongs. One for teachers who want to teach in secondary schools and the other for teachers that want to enter the administrative side of education. Depending on what your ultimate goals are for your career, you will want to discuss how to achieve your objectives with an individual who is knowledgeable about the best route to take to reach your ultimate goal most effectively.
What To Expect From The Program:
The Masters programs are much more intense than the overview or basic courses taken in a bachelors. These programs include critical discussions on readings and applied classroom learning practicum. The program covers classroom management skills and includes extensive reading material. The history and theory of curriculum in K-12 is covered so that you have a complete grasp of learning concepts and teaching modalities for your specialty.
Completing The Program:
After completing the 4-year bachelors program, this program will take an additional 1-2 years. In most cases, individuals getting their degree are working as full-time teachers and take longer to complete the program so that they can accommodate their work schedule. Most of these programs are flexible and take into account the fact that the students participating are working teachers.
The length of time for completion may also vary, depending on the subject area that you have chosen. The program you select will require a lot of field work and analytic study will often require more of an investment of time than one that will be completed through traditional methods of campus study.
What are the prospects with a secondary education masters?
The pay scale for completion of a program will vary based on several factors. Some subject areas are in extreme demand and the pay will be in excess of $100,000 per year. However, in most cases, an individual who completes a program can expect to make a minimum of $40,000 to $63,000 per year. This amount will vary on the location that you are going to teach and the type of school district your choose to work in.
List of schools and programs
- Education Master's Degrees for New & Experienced Teachers!
- Emphases include Educational Leadership, Elementary Education, Secondary Education, Special Education, TESOL & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses 100% online or in our evening campus cohorts.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request transcripts, evaluate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- 60 of our College of Education graduates have gone on to become Teachers of the Year, will you be next?
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Education
- M.S. in Education - Mathematics and Science (Grades K-8)
- M.S.Ed - Mathematics (Grades 5-8)
- Offers fully online master’s and doctoral programs in Education.
- Education Specialist (EdS) program offers several specializations, including Early Childhood Education, Educational Leadership, English as a Second Language, Special Education, and more.
- Master’s students can choose an accelerated track MEd program to complete their degree faster.
- All master’s and doctoral Education programs have no GRE or GMAT exam requirements.
- 100% of faculty possesses a doctoral degree in their field.
- MEd - Reading Education
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Earn your Master's or Doctorate degree online
- Choose from degrees within the schools of Psychology, Organizational Leadership or Social, Human and Educational Development
- Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association
- All faculty hold doctorate degrees and bring real world experience to the classroom
- MA in Education
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Instructional Design & Technology
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M.Ed Teaching and Learning-Middle Grades
- MA in Teaching - Secondary Education
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- And more...
St. Thomas University is a Miami-based institution of higher learning with a rich history of academic achievement centered on the belief that education is a path to enlightenment. Founded as Biscayne College in 1961, we earned full university status in 1984. We adopted the St. Thomas name at that time to honor the original Augustinian institution of higher learning where our founders taught and led.Learn from dedicated, experienced instructors committed to your success: St. Thomas University’s graduate degree programs offer an inclusive, faith-based academic environment focused on practical training, critical thinking and ethical leadership. A reliable online learning system allows you to study with other adult students, around your own schedule, and wherever you connect online. Our commitment is to the academic, personal, and professional success of each student, preparing graduates to be ethical leaders in the world community. We offer fully online business, education, science and technology graduate degrees built on a 50-year tradition of scholastic excellence, community leadership, and faith-focused values. Our accredited online programs meet the same high standards of academic quality as our on-campus programs and are designed specifically for working adults – study and complete assignments around your schedule!
- M.S. in TESOL